Children on the Autism Spectrum - they make us laugh, they make us cry - and we love 'em to pieces!
Being a single mum with an autistic child presents challenges normal support doesn't even touch on. Share your experiences, ideas - or even just vent if you need to, in here!
I have a 4 year old girl, and she is so crazy - she is continually tearing things apart, tantruming all the time etc. not talking except baby talk, so I took her to the Doctor and he thinks that she is either autistic, add or both!
How do you cope with such a thing when you are on your own? Do they improve as they get older? How will she cope at school? Do they go to a special school, or normal? I can't even get her to learn her ABCs, and she won't sit still to look at books or puzzles - only dvds. I spend all day cleaning one end of the apartment whilst she destroys - and I mean destroys - the other. I have nothing left that she hasn't broken. Whenever I tell her to stop doing something, she does, but then she goes right back to it over and over, even if I shout. She has no boundaries, and will just run away if you don't watch her - she also climbs like a monkey, so nowhere is a safe area in my apartment.
I have no support at all - I love her more than life itself, but sometimes I fear for her future of a normal life, and sometimes she drives me crazy! I am a single mum with an autistic child, and it feels really lonely and scary.
By brenda
Hi Carly,

ADD stands for "attention deficit disorder" which may be caused by a chemical imbalance and which can sometimes be treated with medication to restore the normal balance. Autism is a disorder that noone has a real explanation for but which may result in repetitive behaviours, speech regression, lack of eye contact and slower than normal development of social skills. Sometimes children with either ADD or autism can be aggressive. Depending on the diagnosis, things may improve over time. Certainly children with ADD often improve dramatically once they reach their teens and some children with autism make huge improvements with the right services.

Whatever the diagnosis Carly, it may help you to get some professional advice on handling these difficult conditions, if you haven't already. Having strategies up your sleeve will make you feel more in control.

(I'm not an expert - just a mum who's read up on these things and who has parented some pretty challenging children too - so please rely on your professional advice).
Hi Carly

Autism is very prevalent today, children that are on the Autism spectrum normally have communication problems or delay, very routine in their activities, they are not very good at reading body language, and are very sensitive to sensory things such as noise and touch. These children are also very often particular with the foods they eat due to sensory issues. In saying that there is no two autistic children the same, just like me and you and everyone else we are all different. Also the magnitude of this issues varies from child to child.

I would suggest having a look at Autism Spectrum Australia and Northcotts websites as they offer a great deal of support. i have put their websites below. If your daughter is diagnosed with a developmental delay or disorder you are entitled to funding through centrelink to support early intervention prior to school, this is a few thousand dollars for things such as occupational therapy, speech therapy etc. If your daughter is diagnosed as autistic , you have the choice of delaying school entry for an additional year. As for education that depends on the severity of the autism, placement in a support unit is not a bad thing, in kindy there are six students to one teacher plus one teachers aide and they still learn the same things as main stream and the intention is for integration. If you
If you do a search for CARS Autism Rating scale this will give you an idea on how Autism is first identified or confirmed y doctors.

The biggest thing is that you must remember to never be afraid to ask for support.
Stand proud and continue being a great parent.
http://www.northcott.com.au/
http://www.autismspectrum.org.au/a2i1i1 ... elcome.htm